Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Practice, Practice, PRACTICE!

 I interned at a marketing & public relations department in a local hospital. During my time there, i helped plan and manage events with the heads of the department. I was able to be involved in non-profit events, a health event, and a celebritory event. Each event came with its own challenges, but all of them were exciting.

Through the hospital, there are multiple health classes available to the public. These classes ranged on topics such as diabetes, heart issues, growing old, CPR classes, healthy eating, etc. I wrote press releases and updated the hospital's website to keep the public updated on which events were offered and when.


I also helped to plan and advertise for the hospital's annual event, Day of Dance. The event is jam packed with classes and demonastrations of several types of dance. The event provides attendees with the benefits of dance and exercise. The event was open to the public and we also spread the word through the hospital's Spirit of Women program. this program is designed to empower women and to teach women's health. I sent out invites and information to everyone signed up on the Spirit of Women's contact list.


The final event I was able to help with was a substantial one. The CEO of the hospital of over twenty years was retiring. This event took weeks of planning, double checking, setting up, and stressing. The party was held in a ballroom of a luxury hotel. Guests had the options on their RSVPs of either chicken, beef or a vegetarian meal. I arrived two hours prior to the event to help sort out name tags and seating arrangements. I greeted attendees as they arrived and helped them to get settled in. The party had close to 500 attendees which included political figures, doctors, and high-ups within the hospital. It was all together humbling to be in a room full of such powerful people. Several people spoke of their memories and favorite moments in the past years with the CEO and then she gave the final speech of the evening.


I feel so honored to have been given such an incredible internship with event planning experiences. But I still have much more to learn & I look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment